About Our Group

When we were young gardeners, our days would quickly melt into nights as we amended, weeded, plotted, planned, and planted our gardens. Aches and pains could be soothed soaking in a hot tub at night followed by restful sleep that allowed us to repeat the process again the next day. We dreamed of more plants and more land – there would never be enough. It was a way of life that we would never dream of leaving behind.

We are now all at least sixty years old - a group of passionate gardeners with a more realistic approach to our gardening. We do not want to let it all go, but we feel the need to get it under control. Our bodies do not heal overnight. We take breaks and quit before dark. As a group, we share our experiences, learn from each other, and provide mutual support and encouragement to continue to enjoy gardening through our golden years.

Membership is limited at our monthly meetings. Those on our waiting list can visit this site and keep up with our group discussions. This Blog will continue to be refined over time – just like us!

Saturday, February 5, 2011

February 2011 "Newsy-Letter"


 Hi Fellow Golden Years Gardeners,

Longer days and even some dry weather have been great for getting out in the garden and discovering all of those little treasures popping up everywhere!

During a January walk around, I was thrilled to see snowdrops in bloom - always the first sign that winter will be turning to spring. Crocus and daffodils were also beginning to poke their leaves up through the mulch.







Delicate flowers of Cyclamen coum drew me in for a closer look. What a pleasure to this bright spot of color in the winter garden. The color is too light in this picture. My camera just doesn't capture their dark, rich fuchsia color.


Beds bordering the paths are coming alive with hellebore, some have buds just poking through the mulch and others are full flowered bouquets. I've propagated by seed for many years and am now being rewarded with enough mature plants to provide a striking and varied display of color in mid-winter. This is such an easy care and hardy plant. I'll be able to maintain and enjoy them for all of the rest of my gardening days. 
When a plant blooms for the very first time it is just like opening a gift. I love this brand new baby's dark center and creamy petals blushed with pink.

The hellebore below has a curved and wrinkled flower stem that reminds me of the movie character “ET’s” flexible neck and the flower could be the back of his over sized head bowed down in slumber. (I still have an active imagination.)


I can remember a time when I would have the garden completely cleaned up and the mulching done during the first week in January. I did manage to finish the front beds, but ran out of steam before heading around back. The stretch of nice weather in late January inspired me to clean out of the back beds and put down a fresh layer of mulch. I work at a slower pace these days realizing that Scarlet O’Hara was oh, so right about tomorrow being another day. In fact, waiting seems to have improved the odds for successfully eliminating more slugs from the garden. The warmer temperatures brought them out of the ground and into the debris where I could either kill them on sight or pick them up with the debris. The day after I filled the recycling bin, I lifted the lid to find sixty-five slugs clinging to the underside. I could almost hear their evil little giggles as they snuggled up inside what seemed to be a safe spot with all of that yummy yard debris around them – maybe thinking they were now safe. Little did they know  - my scissors are always close at hand.

The downside to having this lovely weather is my overly enthusiastic approach after a period of winter gardening deprivation. I spent way too much time one day last week using the pruning shears. When will I ever learn? After a few days of ice and wearing a wrist brace, the swelling in my right hand and fingers went down so that I could actually bend them. I think I would rather go through childbirth than experience that pain again. I’m going to try very hard to remember why I should take breaks. In the meantime, I will do some research on more ergonomically friendly pruning shears – ones that might fit my hand a little better. I found some Fiskars that might work in my online research and I should be able to try them out at the Yard Garden and Patio show which is just around the corner. Speaking of the YG&P show, we will soon have an array of gardening events to choose from. Click on "Barbara's Weekly Column" under “Gardening Links” at the top left of home page just under our profile to read Barbara Ashmun's February 4th column, see just how much we have to look forward to and to understand the reasons behind our giddiness.

Finally, I want to share my success with the “stovepipe” protecting Azara mycrophylla variegata. I am ever so grateful to Donna for introducing us to this wonderful flexible, water proof insulation that she was using to protect plants and pots in her garden. (I also discovered it makes great knee pads) It comes in a roll and can be purchased at Home Depot in the area where all of the house insulation is located. There are big rolls and smaller rolls, so you don’t have to buy it in mass quantities. I moved this Azara late last fall because it just didn’t fit its original location any longer and I wanted to give it a little more protection. Although labeled as an evergreen, it was losing most of its leaves and then not recovering until well into June of each year – that was not acceptable. Since cold weather obviously was knocking it back too much each year, I decided to try the wrap to see if it would make a difference. I am happy to report that a peek inside of the “pipe” reveals a fully foliaged and fresh looking plant. It worked so well that I also wrapped Edgeworthia chrysantha and Dichroa febrifuga. Like the Azara, they live through the cold months, but don’t recover quickly in spring and the winter bloom on Edgeworthia is lost when cold winds blow. Alas, I did not get her covered in time to save the bloom this year - oh well, there is always next year......................Gail


There are links to garden websites, garden articles and other blogs listed on the top left of the page. You'll find announcements and information about upcoming gardening events and articles of interest. If there is a useful link that you would like me to add, let me know.


OUR JANUARY MEETING NOTES 
The next best thing to being in the garden is to be able to see it comfortably through a big picture window. That is always true when we meet in Joy's living room where we see so many interesting and colorful shrubs and trees all year around. We were warm and dry in a beautiful setting, surrounded by gardening friends, enjoying a yummy array of refreshments provided by Barbara, sipping hot drinks provided by Joy and catching up with each other. What a pleasant way to spend the afternoon.


This was our first meeting of the new year and time to make a few plans. We came up with several interesting ideas for field trips. In February we will visit Treephoria with arrangements being made by Barbara. Diana will look into planning a trip to Kinsey Faire - no date yet. Sarah will make arrangements for an April trip to Xera. Gail will plan a trip to Sebright, most likely in May sometime. Jane C. will make arrangements for a visit to Bucholz and Bucholz Nursery and there is interest in visiting Flat Creek Nursery if someone will volunteer to make the arrangements. We have a good start and as the year progresses there will be more opportunities for outings. As plans are finalized, we will send out group emails with the details.


Lisa suggested that now is the time to visit Elk Rock Garden at Bishop's Close. Snowdrops are up, winter sweet and Hamamelis are in bloom. More information can be found at http://www.episcopaldioceseoregon.org/node/6


Bruna announced that the Pioneer District  is offering a $1,000 scholarship with a March 15th deadline. They would like to encourage more participation and details can be found at http://oregongardenclubs.org/pioneer/ 


The annual leaders meeting for the HPSO Interest/Study Groups will be held in February. I have a conflict, so if someone else is able to and would like to attend as our representative, please let me know and I'll give you the details.

Our blog is going to be used for our Newsletter each month, but meeting announcements and specifics about field trips will still be sent to you individually using our group email list or by regular mail for those who do not have email. The blog is new and it will be updated and refined as needed throughout the year.


OUR GARDEN DISCUSSION


What are your first plant related memories? When did your love of gardening begin? Is gardening in your genes? Let’s talk about our first plant memories from childhood and how those memories influenced our passion for gardening. Bring a picture to share.


When I first thought about using this as a discussion topic, I was somewhat hesitant and wondered if anyone would be interested. At last month's meeting, I took the plunge and asked if there was any interest and was so pleased at the positive response. But, that positive response pales in comparison with the enthusiasm of the actual discussion. Many of you have expressed that this topic was your favorite from any of our meetings. 


The exercise of looking through pictures or just searching our memories helped us travel back to that simple and carefree time before schedules and deadlines and responsibilities and hot flashes and wrinkles and gray hair and so many other realities of adult life. The child we once were still resides inside all of us and for a brief period, we were transported back to that carefree time when new experiences and exciting discoveries were made in the simplest of places. As each of you shared your memories, I saw faces light up, eyes brighten; I heard funny stories, poignant stories, lots of laughter; I felt excitement, enthusiasm, and positive energy flowing everywhere and I didn't see one wrinkle or gray hair in the room. I thank you all for climbing in the time machine together and sharing the journey. Whether we were raised in a big city, on a farm, or in a small town, we all share positive memories of seeds, plants, soil, and people who helped cultivate our interest in gardening.


February meeting notice is being sent through the group email list. See you soon.
Gail








 

No comments:

Post a Comment