About Our Group

When we were young gardeners, our days would quickly melt into nights as we amended, weeded, plotted, planned, and planted our gardens. Aches and pains could be soothed soaking in a hot tub at night followed by restful sleep that allowed us to repeat the process again the next day. We dreamed of more plants and more land – there would never be enough. It was a way of life that we would never dream of leaving behind.

We are now all at least sixty years old - a group of passionate gardeners with a more realistic approach to our gardening. We do not want to let it all go, but we feel the need to get it under control. Our bodies do not heal overnight. We take breaks and quit before dark. As a group, we share our experiences, learn from each other, and provide mutual support and encouragement to continue to enjoy gardening through our golden years.

Membership is limited at our monthly meetings. Those on our waiting list can visit this site and keep up with our group discussions. This Blog will continue to be refined over time – just like us!

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

APRIL, 2011 “NEWSY LETTER”

Trillium augustipetalum with Anemone nemorosa

So far, I have managed to minimize the urge to impulsively buy new plants as I feel spring's “plant lust” rushing through my veins, sending new desire to every one of my gardening deprived brain receptors. After the trips to Xera, Plant Nerd Night, and the HPSO Spring Sale, my plant “holding area” has less than ten new plants waiting for a spot in the garden. Knowing that there is no space to add a new plant without removing an existing plant, is helping keep my lust at bay this year – well, so far anyway.
Hellebore Babies
This year, I cut back hellebore bloom stalks much earlier than ever before. It is my latest method of birth control for these prolific producers of seed. In years past, I’ve always left the flowers on the plants because they age so nicely and look good well into the month of May. Plus, I was thrilled to have all of the little ones arrive. But, that presented a dilemma for me – too many babies and my desire to see them all mature into blooming plants. That usually takes three years and lots of space. Although I think I have plenty of years left, available planting space is quickly shrinking. Last year, I thought that I had cut them back early enough to prevent the usual population explosion. This year it is obvious that many little seeds eluded the process, dropped to the ground, and germinated. Now, I feel compelled to save the babies because I just cannot bring myself to destroy them. I want the thrill of seeing them flower for the first time.
That means that I will be looking for space in the back lot. There once was a plan to leave that area empty – what ever happened to that plan? Over the past three years, the lot has quickly filled in as I used it for a convenient overflow of plants removed from the garden. That has produced another dilemma – what to do with all of those re-located plants. It is a vicious circle of addition and subtraction. I’m beginning to realize that is just part of my gardening evolution. It is once again time to make choices. Some of the existing overflow plants will need to make the final journey out of the garden. Hopefully, that journey will take them to new homes in sunnier gardens. But I am prepared to apply a harsher alternative if necessary.
Trillium foetidissimum





 Saying “good by” to hellebore blossoms for another year also means saying “hello” to many other favorite plants just beginning their seasonal show. Trilliums are in their full glory right now. Always first to flower are T. foetidissimum, but I am more interested in enjoying its early arrival and heavily mottled foliage than its flowers.
Trillium ovatum
Some flowers of T. ovatum are beginning to show age, making colorful pink and white bouquets. Giant T. Kurabayashii is in full flower; T. rivale and T. augustapetalum are in full bloom; T. parviflorum is just beginning to bloom. T. simile, T. luteum, T. albidum, and T. sulcatum buds are just beginning to mature and will provide another month of pleasure.  Last year I harvested hundreds of seeds from the various plants and planted them in a specially prepared bed on the back lot. They are now beginning to germinate – very exciting.

Hosta 'Clifford's Forest Fire'
 Unfurling hosta leaves and fern fiddles are quickly transforming empty spaces into bright, lush spots of color. I definitely have a weakness for both of these plants and am concerned that uncontrolled lust will return when we visit Sebright next month. I’ve given up making “want lists” from the website catalog because I never stick to it when arriving at the nursery. Something strange happens as I wander through that sea of beauty in the shade house. I feel a rush of excitement and then a strange lack of control as I watch my hands – seeming to have a mind of their own - reaching out, picking up, carrying off some of that beauty. 
The trance will not end until the car is in my own driveway and I am unloading the trunk, reading each label, caressing each leaf, feeling that wonderful afterglow – not yet thinking about where I’ll put these new arrivals. I am already beginning to feel a twinge of lust flowing through my veins. Uh-oh………

To read more of my garden adventures visit my blog at http://gailgardening.blogspot.com/

Polystichum setiferum rotundatum 

 OUR MARCH MEETING NOTES
Being at Joy’s is like returning home for a visit with family. We know how to get there; we look forward to that fabulous view out the big picture window; we know there will be plenty of comfort food; we select our favorite seats in the large, but still cozy, living room. As members arrive, greetings and conversations fill the space with warmth and happy sounds. The experience is energizing and fun. Thanks to Joy and Lisa for providing warm drinks and a fabulous and yummy array of refreshments. Thank you, Joy, for once again allowing us to use your home as our “clubhouse”.

Field Trips
Several members are working behind the scenes putting together trips for us to enjoy. We will send out individual group emails for each of the trips as the dates approach. Upcoming trips scheduled include:
May 19th – Sebright  http://www.sebrightgardens.com/  – contact Gail
June 9th – Private gardens of Carolyn Guinther and Mike Snyder – contact Diana
June 18th -  Kinsey Faire and Laurel Hedge – contact Diana
July 20th – Miller Garden - contact Barbara

Announcements
Click on the links at the top left of the page under Garden Links to see where to find upcoming events.
The Bloedel Reserve is having a plant sale on April 16th and 17tha first time event.                  

OUR PROGRAM
This month’s topic was learning how to manage physical pain that so often accompanies our activities in our gardens. Thanks to Sandy for making arrangements for Nancy Grossenbacher, a certified Hand Therapist, dedicated gardener, and HPSO member to come and share her extensive knowledge with us.  Her official title might sound narrowly focused, but her therapy also includes the hand and all of the connecting links - the wrist, elbow, up to and including the shoulder. We each received a very informative handout full of helpful information, like how to prepare our bodies before heading out to do our gardening, how alternating our tasks and using the right tools can help reduce injury, pacing ourselves, proper lifting techniques for reducing the risk of injury, a list of lower maintenance plants, and steps we can take at home to help relieve arthritic pain. She also brought many “show and tell” examples of tools and aids that many of us had never seen before, like the “Pen Again” products which can make writing easier on our fingers and Dr. Grip gel pens - also easier on fingers. These can be found at the local office supply stores and/or Target stores and maybe at Fred Meyer. She also recommends OXO sheers with a spring mechanism that reduces stress on the hands during the cutting motion. Nancy says to keep a pair handy for opening garden products rather than trying to rip open the packaging. This was one of the most informative and enjoyable programs we have had. Nancy was a wealth of information which she generously shared with patience and focus. She engaged us in conversation, welcoming individual questions and comments. The time flew by and we all went home with new methods and resources for protecting our bodies as we garden in our golden years. Thank you, again, Sandy for suggesting this topic and getting such an interesting and knowledgeable speaker.

The meeting announcement with address and map was sent out to via our email list.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for those pictures of the baby hellebores. I just collected some from a friend and potted them up in the hopes that they were what we thought they were- looks like we were right. Your gardens look lovely.
    It would be fabulous if you put in your climate zones in your 'Home' area so I can see if I can use some of the plants you are using? I'm always looking for new ideas for my quite shady garden.
    Happy gardening,

    Fiona, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fiona,
      There are many micro climates in this area with zones from 6 to 8. My garden is in zone 8. I usually add plants that are hardy to zone 7 for a little insurance just in case there is an unusually cold winter. Enjoy your hellebore babies. It is always so exciting to see the first bloom on a young plant. Thank you for writing.......Gail

      Delete